- The word “Cheetah” is derived from the Hindi word “Chita” meaning “spotted one”.
- The world’s fastest land mammal is racing towards extinction.
- Apart from an isolated pocket of Iran, the cheetah is already extinct in Asia and in Africa it has been driven out of 91% of its historic range.
- As human populations grow and expand, agriculture, roads, and settlements destroy the open grasslands cheetahs need to survive.
- Human encroachment also contributes to the loss of the cheetah’s prey.
- Cheetahs still face the continual threat of poaching for their pelts and other body parts and risk losing their cubs to the illegal pet trade.