Moon Bear (Asiatic Black Bear)
In Vietnam, moon bears are cruelly harvested for their bile.
- Also known as the Asiatic, Tibetan and Himalayan black bear.
- They live in Southeast Asia, southern China and its borders and Korea and Japan.
- Accurate population figures are not available as their habitation range is so fragmented and they are reclusive creatures.
- They are listed as vulnerable or endangered in some countries due to: –
- human encroachment
- habitat fragmentation
- relentless poaching of adults and cubs for body parts to supply illegal trade
- a high demand for their paws and gall bladders, even on the black market of countries where poaching is illegal such as China